Thursday, January 31, 2008

The view from the Earth Observatory

Text, text and more text... That pretty much sums up my day. Email, RSS, webpages, advice, news... you name it! Consequently, I like sites that make me look at the world differently, or provide me with a new understanding of a particular situation.

Lately one of my favourite indulgences is NASA's Earth Observatory. I watch the Natural Hazards page in particular. Where else can you see what a sandstorm looks like? Or the Middle East covered in snow? Or see the devastation left by a tornado or forest fire?

It sounds a little morbid, but it's not. I find the site helps understand the enormous impact these disasters can have. I see a lot of cyclones in the news, but actually seeing the sheer size of a storm near a land mass leaves me with a new understanding that I don't get from weather reports or news. The images and stunning.

I also like the Unique Imagery section. What can I say? It makes you see the world differently, whether it's Fall Colors or Phytoplankton blooms.

The site is well worth a look.

No comments: